Finally, dining booth cushions

We love our dining booth but haven’t been utilitizing this booth as we should because–no cushions!  I knew I could sew them up, but just wasn’t sure how I wanted to attach them without creating damage to the wood underneath. So I’ve been doing a lot of Pinterest surfing and Googled for photos or tutorials for ideas.  I also was looking for the right fabric, and just didn’t see what I thought would work.  I went ahead and ordered the solid foam and it’s been sitting in the bedroom since January.

Finally, things came together a couple weeks ago. I also had a deadline as company is coming for the 4th of July weekend and I didn’t want anyone to sit on these hard benches. I usually slide a throw on the bench to give us a little bit of softness to sit on.  I found my fabric at Hobby Lobby. It must have been a new batch because I just don’t think I’d seen this before. Their discounted price was right, plus an additional 30% off, for a whopping $11 a yard. Quite a bargain for this textured chenille-feel upholstery fabric. It came in a dark grey and this light grey. I didn’t want the space to be a dark corner, so I got the lighter grey and it coordinates well with the table’s galvanized silver color metal top.

I decided to velcro the cushions to the wood. That way nothing is drilled into the wood and the velcro can, I think, be removed in the future without damaging the wood. If there is any, it should be an easy fix.  I found industrial strength velcro on Amazon and ordered that as well months ago.  I had not seen anyone use this idea, but it made sense for me to do it this way. I velcroed down 2″ from the top of the finished back cushions, and centered it the length of the seat cushions, plus I velcroed vertically the entry end of each cushion.

I also decided NOT to install a zipper on the cushions.  I won’t be removing these covers and I will just spot clean them. I Scotchguarded them to repel any spills and blot up easily. I just slipstitched closed the long seam on the back where I pushed the foam through. And by pushing, I mean wrangling. I came across an idea in one of the Sailrite.com tutorials I found after the fact, showing how to use a special “silk” wrap they use to slide foam in, then pull the silk wrap out, if the cushions are going to get wet and need to drain and dry (as in boats). Otherwise, it appears  you could just leave it around the foam inside the cover.

This is the tutorial I finally found that is absolutely fantastic for anyone. Look at ALL the tutorials as there are lots of tips and tricks.  They make cushions for boats, and also any other kind of seating and window coverings, as well as some other things, like Christmas stockings.  The tutorials are very easy to watch and most tutorials have a voice over with instructions and some have the steps written out so you can copy them to have by your side.  I just used my Ipad.  They also sell all the tools and products needed to make what they are providing instructions for, down to the professional sewing machine.  I totally learned how to make boxed corners, and I’ve been sewing since the 70’s.  I had never found anyone explain how to do it and show how to do it that made sense to me.  So I recommend Sailrite.com.

http://www.sailrite.com/

This is the tutorial I followed for these cushions (no boxing strips, just the top and base pieces) with a waterfall top edge and boxed corners. The genius is in  the measurements for each, foam and fabric,  so follow those instructions to the letter so the fabric fits tight around the foam:

http://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Make-a-Quick-and-Easy-Box-Cushion-Video

I gave myself plenty of time to work on these, so I did not feel rushed. I only worked on one cushion a day, whether it took two hours or 4 hours didn’t matter.  I make mistakes when rushed and I didn’t want to have to do over and waste fabric, or rip out seams.  I also used a stronger thread which is rated for Outdoor use.  I had my Ipad near me with the tutorials so I could just follow step by step and replay what I needed to.

I am happy with how these turned out, and once you price made to order, you can happily know how much money you saved doing it yourself.  I ordered foam (2″ deep for the backs, and 3″ for the seats) industrial velcro, and outdoor thread off Amazon for $150. The fabric from Hobby Lobby, 9 yards for $100 (such a bargain).  There was leftover foam once I cut out the sizes I needed, so I didn’t use it all for this project. I also had some leftover fabric, maybe a yard.

I will probably tuft the back cushions to soften their look. It’s easy to do and I have everything I need to do that.

Next up, making some Roman shades for my sewing room using Sailrite.com tutorials and supplies.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s